Monday, January 10, 2011

The Peace of Christ

Jesus Christ brought peace to humankind when He came into this world, but it was a personal peace, not a political peace. "And on earth peace..." (Luke 2:14) was part of the angel's announcement of the birth of Christ.

Thirty-three years later, as Jesus prepared to leave His friends and followers, He said to them, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:24).

When things are topsy-turvy in our lives, we can remember promises such as these:
"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety" (Psalm 4:8).
"You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You" (Isaiah 26:3).
"Great peace have they who love Your law, and nothing can  make them stumble." (Psalm 119:165).
"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

Even when the trials of the world seem overwhelming, we have a deep peace beyond anything we can understand through the love of our Savior, Jesus.

No comments: